Friday, March 28, 2014

PART 9: GETTING USED TO THIS

So I'm starting to get used to the brace and I'm not sure if that's actually a good thing.  What I mean is that as my pain has improved and I've been able to relax a bit, but I've caught my myself twice start to try to lift my left arm for an itch or slight discomfort.  Lifting my arm over the next three weeks is a huge no no for proper healing.  Fortunately the brace has restricted me from doing anything stupid.  

Through these little episodes I'm realizing that a moderate amount of fear will be healthy to remain conservative as I recover.  The fear of re-tearing my tendon and going through all this again is horrifying, so I hope to use that as a motivation to keep from trying to do too much, too fast.  

The one instruction I heard loud and clear from my PA and general physician is definitely don't do anything the dr. told you not to do.  Now that I'm on the road to recovery, I'm starting to understand that it will take a lot of focus and patience to follow those instructions for the months to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment