Thursday, March 27, 2014

PART 6: THE FIRST 24 HOURS

We got home from the hospital a little after noon.  I was able to stand on my own with someone next to me for balance but I was in a lot of pain still.  My wife helped me get setup in my chair and hooked up the cryo-cuff to the cool water pump.  My parents stuck around for a bit to help while my wife went to get my prescription filled at the pharmacy.  

Over the next 24 hours my main focus was on pain management and getting used to having my arm immobilized.  I was allowed to take pain relief every six hours and my pain was varying between a 4-5 most of the time.  Getting and staying comfortable was a challenge, especially at night since I was sleeping in a chair in the family room.  

My wife was incredible making sure I was as comfortable as could be and seeing after all of my needs.  She would prep my food and medicine, adjust my pillows, take care of my ice machine, and most importantly entertain me.  

I couldn't wait to go back to the dr. the next day to hear what they did in surgery and find out about more about what I could expect during recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment