Friday, March 28, 2014

PART 10: I COULDN'T DO THIS ALONE

I am incredibly grateful for all of the help I've been getting from my family and friends over the past week.  The recovery process is going to be challenging enough with a lot of help along the way; I could not imagine how hard it would be to deal with it alone.  So for anyone facing this challenge, or possibly something similar, I highly encourage you to reach out, ask for help, and let people in who do offer, because you will need it.

For perspective, these are the things that I currently cannot do by myself:
 - Change my shirt
 - Shower
 - Cook
 - Open a jar
 - Drive
 - Put my own socks or shoes on
 - Change my two year old's diaper
 - Put my two year old to bed
 - Change the cat litter
 - Take out the trash
 - Push a stroller

Some of these items I will gradually be able to do more and more throughout the recovery process, but many of them will require at least some help for months to come.  In our society that truly idolizes independence (for better or worse), this injury requires a healthy slice of humble pie to be able to get through each day.  

Fortunately, I am married to a truly wonderful woman and we live in the same city as both of our awesome families.   My wife was able to take two days off of work and then family was able to come over during the day so she could go back to work soon after surgery.   My parents, in-laws, sisters, and friends have all chipped in to bring us food, watch our son, or just keep me company.  

My wife has been amazing.  She wakes up early each morning to make me breakfast, get my medicine, and change the ice in my cryo-cuff.  One unexpected benefit of this injury is that I get to spend more time with her than usual.

It's times like this when life shifts a little bit off the normal path to allow you to see unconditional love in action, and it's absolutely amazing.  This time I'm the recipient of that love.

My chest does hurt still, but more importantly my heart is full.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment