Thursday, March 27, 2014

PART 8: MY TV BROKE

Perfect timing, right?  Just when I get stuck on the couch for a while, the bulb on my TV fails.  Fortunately, I was able to find a new, inexpensive bulb pretty quickly.  I paid extra for overnight shipping and then my wife was able to successfully install it.  Crisis averted.

Wednesday - 3/26/2014 (2 days after surgery)

Tonight my wife and I decided to take an exciting adventure into the world of bathing.  One of the downsides of being locked in a brace with a bunch of stitches is how hard it is to stay clean.  I wouldn't be allowed to shower for at least 5 days after surgery so our options were limited to a glorified sponge bath.  Out of fear of re-tearing my tendon, I was extremely timid while I was out of my brace for the first time.  It made both my wife and I pretty tense during the whole ordeal, but I will say it was nice to be clean(er) and have some fresh clothes on.

Thursday - 3/27/2014 (3 days after surgery)

After being on strong narcotics for 72 hours continually, I was starting to get tired of taking them.   They were definitely making me feel slightly nauseous and light-headed.  I'd also get mild headaches in between doses which was a sign to me how quickly the physical addiction to the narcotics had been setting in.  Unfortunately I was still in enough pain that I wasn't quite ready to drop my dosage of pain meds quite yet.  Pain was still in the 2-3 range which was tolerable most of the time.

My ability to sleep was getting better but the pain and brace still woke me up every 45-60 minutes throughout the night.  Since I tried to eat every 6 hours before I took my pain meds, I haven't had a full night with no interruptions yet. However, today I was successfully able to take three 45 minute catnaps to remain relatively rested.  

Speaking of catnaps, being home has reminded me exactly how much my cat actually does sleep, which is somewhere around the twenty hour mark each day.  This is about the same amount of time I've been spending in my chair hooked up to the ice machine.  He's got a rough life.

No comments:

Post a Comment