Sunday, March 23, 2014

PART 1: OOPS, I TORE MY PEC

So last Saturday, March 15th, 2014 I tore my pec.  Or for the medical nerds in the room, I ruptured my pectoralis major tendon. The injury is pretty rare so yes it confirms that I do belong in the "special" status as many of you have been lead to believe.

How it happened:
So I was trying save a cute kitten from a grizzly bear attack when all of a sudden...
Ok.  Ok.  I was bench pressing as is the case with many of these injuries.  In hindsight I believe my hands were too wide on the bar so fellow weightlifters take note.  I had warmed up my body by doing jumping jacks for 2-3 minutes followed by light stretching.  I warmed up my chest with a set of 135 for 12 reps before moving of to my workout of 205 lbs. for 3 sets of 12.

My normal workout routines almost always are comprised of circuits so on this day I was alternating between flat bench press and raised rear leg lunges.  The injury occured on my 3rd set during the tenth rep.  I heard a pop and tear and immediately my left pec started spasming.  I immediately racked the weight, before my spotter could even react.  There was no doubt something major was wrong.  I went and told the wife and kid who were in the pool that it was time to go home.

So we left, but the pain had just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment