Tuesday, March 25, 2014

PART 5: SURGERY

Monday - 3/24/2014 (9 days after injury and one month before my 36th birthday)

5:00 am alarm for the loss.  Surgery was scheduled for 7:30-9:00 so we were told to arrive at the hospital at 6:00 to get ready.  

The surgery prep started quickly with the nurses.  It took about an hour and fifteen minutes to go through it all: changing, shaving, cleaning, IV, and a meet and greet with the anesthesiologist.  Since my injury was on my chest, they were not able to give me a nerve block in my arm to help manage the pain.  I would be reliant on the narcotics they were offering that day.

At this point I was able to spend about 5-10 minutes with my wife and mother talking to the physicians assistant before they took me back for surgery.  This was an actual pleasant calm before the storm.  I had been trying to take moments throughout the morning to take long, slow breathes and meditate to calm my nerves.  Finally, when it was go time for surgery they pumped me full of something special because I was all smiles as they took me into the operating room.

About two hours later I came back to consciousness.   Unfortunately I woke to excruciating pain right where my procedure took place; about an 8 out of 10.  The nurse then began putting pain meds in my IV to help.  After 3 rounds of special stuff she was able to bring my pain level down to about a 5/10.  From my recollection that took about 10 minutes, give or take an hour.   

When I woke up, I had already been put in my shoulder immobilizer brace/sling device and also had my shoulder wrapped in a cryo-cuff for treating the inflammation.  

I was then wheeled back to the prep area and my wife and mom were able to join my side.  It was great to see loved ones, even amidst the continual pain.  Although my wife and mom may have felt a bit helpless thoughout the day, their presence and love comforted my spirit in ways that no drugs could even dream of. Times like this in life allow you to truly take count of your blessings and without a doubt I am grateful for my family.  

The nurses had me eat some crackers and juice to get something in my stomach before they gave me my first Percocet.  I almost got sick after taking it but was able to keep it down.  It eventually helped get my pain to a 'tolerable' level and before I knew it I was getting dressed and we were heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment