Sunday, April 6, 2014

PART 16: GETTING USED TO GETTING BETTER

As I start to feel better, I try more things, which then make me hurt again.  I feel like I'm chasing the ever changing line between pain, activity, rest, and medicine.  

Fortunately, I'm noticing the overall trend of my healing is going in a positive direction, but my days often have moments filled with pain, fatigue, and frustration.  I fell that this is a good example of trend (overall general improvement) and noise (daily ups and downs).

The challenging part to me is the ever-changing noise that requires me to rest, revisit, and adjust before progress appears again.  

For example, late last week after a few days of being a little more active around the house (i.e. emptying the dishwasher one handed), I started to get some very isolated pain directly where I tore my tendon.  Obviously this was frightening and discouraging, so I had to take it easy for a day to rest and figure out a way to improve my approach.  I decided to adjust the strap on my brace a bit, and the next day I was able to do those few activities around the house without too much pain.  Two days later I started getting sore in my outer shoulder muscle due to the adjustment I made in my brace.

So in general I'm very grateful that I'm beginning to get better, but I've just started getting used to process of handling all of the noise along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment