Tuesday, April 1, 2014

PART 13: BABY STEPS, MY FIRST ADVENTURE

Tuesday - 4/1/2014 (8 days after surgery)

Tuesday was a big day as I took my first walk in the neighborhood.  My parents came over to help for the evening since my wife had to work late.  I decided I would join them for a walk to go pick up my son from school.  

The walk is short, about 5 city blocks from our house so I didn't think it would be a big deal.  I was wrong.  I wasn't expecting us to power walk to the school or anything since my parents are about 70, so it was a surprise and a bit of a disappointment when a block from our house I had to ask them to slow down because my surgery area was beginning to hurt.  I didn't know if the pain was due to a slightly elevated heart rate or from the slight jostling around, probably a bit of both.  The pain didn't acquiesce until we got back home 20 minutes later and I was able to rest and get on the ice machine.  

I was really hoping that I could start walking around the neighborhood since my activity options are very limited.  I can't lift, drive (to the gym), run, cycle, swim, or do yoga so walking is about the only option I have.  I'd take a comfortable stroll to the coffee shop to get a cappuccino right now.   I guess I will just have to take baby steps, both figuratively and literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment